Sunday, March 27, 2011

3rd Production Meeting and some Bad News

Bad news first...

After last week's debacle about the no-show, no-call incidents, Sarah was forced to write a long an detailed email reminding everyone of the commitment they made to the show and their responsibilities as actors. We have allowed for everyone to have rehearsal conflicts as long as they clear them with the production team before rehearsal begins. This email was sent to everyone in order to scare a bit of professionalism into our cast.

This attempt at reminding everyone of their duties wasn't at all heeded by one person, who emailed Sarah today and quit the show. This moves the total number of people who were once involved in the show up to 8.

Although I need as many people as possible to finish this project, what I don't need is apathy, and to be honest, one less person is of more value to me than an apathetic cast member. The total integrity of the performance will not suffer due to the departure of these people, and their leaving serves as nothing more than incentive to make the show even better despite them. They are the ones who chose not to be involved in something that I will not accept as being anything short of amazing.

That ideal is shared by my production team and the members of the cast that have consistently appeared at every rehearsal. For every cast member lost there is at least one other who possesses twice their enthusiasm and professionalism, and although they may or may not actually be, to me they're twice as talented as well.

Upon the arrival of this news at the production meeting today, Video Producer Colin McDermott took hold of the publicity wagon and is planning on driving it straight to the bank. Having just finished his first round of video shooting, Colin will have completed his video tasks in the next week or so, leaving him available to aid us in other ways. I imagine I'll have to call in some favors for people to operate puppets, but he said he's available for that as well. Also, as required by the mass exodus of ex-cast members, we have gained my long-time friend Quita Christison in the singing chorus and it seems as though every member of the production team, including myself, will be performing in the show somehow.

My desire for collaboration has turned into exactly that, plus the need to multi-task. I had stated in my production proposal that I would like every member of the cast to experience something outside of their chosen field. It appears as though this statement will ring true for those of us on the production team as well. I just hope Colin can fake dancing enough not to trip over himself too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment